There’s a brilliant book by our very own Dr Antonia Thomas PhD, a long-standing member of the Ness dig team and an acknowledged expert on Neolithic art.
Art and Architecture is Neolithic Orkney: Process, Temporality and Context is lavishly illustrated, with many photographs of some of the carved stones from the Ness of Brodgar. The book is available to download here.
There was a really good piece all about the Ness in the 24th July 2016 issue of The Guardian newspaper, which is well worth a read.
The Ness also features in the latest edition of Renfrew & Bahn’s Archaeology – the standard text book for undergraduates everywhere but a really useful book for all.
- Ackerman, N. and Card, N. (forthcoming) Neolithic roofing at the Ness of Brodgar.
- Allington, M. L, Batt, C., Hill, M. and Card, N. (forthcoming) Developing Archaeomagnetic Dating by Intensity in the UK: a Case Study from Neolithic Orkney. Journal of Archaeological Science.
- Batt C.M., Outram Z., Harris S.E. and Card N. (Forthcoming) Telling the time in the Neolithic: Developing archaeomagnetic dating in Britain. Archaeometry/ Journal of Archaeological Science.
- Brend, A., Card, N., Downes, J. and Edmonds, M (eds) Forthcoming Landscapes Revealed: Remote sensing around the Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage Site. Oxford: Windgather/Oxbow Press
- P. Bueno-Ramírez, R. de Balbín-Behrmann, R. Barroso-Bermejo, L. Laporte, Ph. Gouezin, F. Cousseau, L. Salanova, N. Card, G. Benetau, E. Mens, A. Sheridan, F. Carrera-Ramírez, A. Hernanz, M. Iriarte, K. Steelman (2019) From pigment to symbol: the role of paintings in the ideological construction of European megaliths. In Johannes Müller, Martin Hinz, Maria Wunderlich (eds) (2019) Megaliths – Societies – Landscapes: Early Monumentality and Social Differentiation in Neolithic Europe 2019 Proceedings of the international conference in Kiel, Volume 3, 845- 864, Bonn.
- Card, N., Edmonds, M. AND Mitchell, A. (eds) (forthcoming) The Ness of Brodgar: an interim.
- Card, N., Jones, R., Towers, R. and Odling, N. (2019). Analysis of coloured Grooved Ware sherds from the Ness of Brodgar, Orkney. Journal of Archaeological Science, 28, . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jasrep.2019.102014.
- Card, N., Mainland, I., Timpany, S., Towers, R., Batt, C., Bronk Ramsey, C., Dunbar, E., Reimer, P., Marshall, P. and Whittle, A. (2017) To cut a long story short: formal chronological modelling for the Late Neolithic site of Ness of Brodgar, Orkney. European Journal of Archaeology: 1–47. https://doi.org/10.1017/eaa.
- Card, N. and Thomas, A. (2012) Painting a picture of Neolithic Orkney: decorated stonework from the Ness of Brodgar, in Cochrane, A. and Jones, A. (eds) Neolithic visual culture: abstraction and figuration, Neolithic Studies Group Monograph, Oxbow.
- Card, N., Downes, J., Gibson, J. & Ovenden, S. (2007) Bringing a landscape to life? – researching and managing the ‘The Heart of Neolithic Orkney’ World Heritage Site, World Archaeology 39(3), 417-435.
- Card, N, Cluett, J, Downes, J, Gater, J & Ovenden, S, (2007) ‘Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage Site: Building a landscape. In Larsson, M. and Parker Pearson, M. (eds) From Stonehenge to the Baltic: Living with Cultural Diversity in the Third Millennium BC, Brit Arch Report Inter Series 1692, 221-231.
- Card, N (2018) A Place of Celebration and Pilgrimage. British Archaeology, Sept-Oct, 44-47.
- Card, N. (2018) The Ness of Brodgar Uncovering Orkney’s Neolithic heart. Current Archaeology 335, 20-28.
- Card, N. (2010) Neolithic Temples of the Northern Isles. Current Archaeology, 241, 12-19.
- Card, N. (2010) Colour, Cups and Tiles – recent discoveries at the Ness of Brodgar. PAST, 66, 1-3.
- Card, N. (2012) The Ness of Brodgar. British Archaeology, 128, 14-21.
- Harris, S., Batt, C. and Card, N. (2018) Developing Archaeomagnetic Dating for the Scottish Neolithic. Archaeology Scotland, 33, 14-17.
- Mainland, I., Harland, J., Card, N. and Downes, J. (2018) Feast or Famine? Faunal assemblages from Orkney. Archaeology Scotland, 32, 10-13.
- Mainland, I., Card, N., Saunders, M.K., Webster, C., Isaksen, L., Downes, J., Littlewood, M. (2013) ‘SmartFauna’: a microscale GIS-based multi-dimensional approach to faunal deposition at the Ness of Brodgar, Orkney. Journal of Archaeological Science (2013), doi: 10.1016/ j.jas.2013.10.019.
- Shillito, LM, McKenzie, J, Card, N, Pike, S, and Chan, B (2015) Subsistence, technology and resource use in Neolithic Orkney: new interdisciplinary research at the Ness of Brodgar. Antiquity, 348, proj gall.
- Smith, R. (2014) Before Stonehenge. National Geographic August 2014, 26-51. https://www.
nationalgeographic.com/ magazine/2014/08/neolithic- orkney/
- Towers, R. and Card, N. (2015) Technological Adaptation in Grooved Ware Pottery from the Ness of Brodgar, Orkney: or how to make your cordons stick. SAJ 36–7 (2015): 51–63.
- Towers, R, Card, N and Edmonds, M. (2017) The Ness of Brodgar: Digging Deeper (Second Edition). Kirkwall
- Towers, R., Card, N. and Edmonds, M. (2015) The Ness of Brodgar. Kirkwall.