The Ness of Brodgar excavation site is now closed to the public. See you in 2024.
- We ask that tour guides don’t add their clients on to the official site tours. Instead, operators should guide their own groups. There are information boards around the site.
- Tours of the excavation site are free if you guide your groups yourself, but please ask your guests to consider a donation – we depend hugely on visitor support. It makes up 80 per cent of our funding. In addition, please encourage your guests to buy the guidebook.
- There is no need to book tour slots for groups of less than eight people – just turn up on site, but please follow the parking guidelines.
- Larger groups (8-15 people) should book a slot at least 48 hours in advance with site director Nick Card (firstname.lastname@example.org). This is so we can avoid clashes with other tours and try and avoid the official site tour slots.
- Coach tours or groups of more than 15 need to be booked well in advance with site director Nick Card (email@example.com).
- Coaches cannot be accommodated on site and coaches/minibuses must not park in the passing places.
- Please check the site opening times – it is not open all day, every day and in bad weather may close at very short notice.
- There is no entry to the excavation if the main gates are closed and there is no staff on site.
- Please do not drop passengers off at the site entrance – the single-track road is busy and potentially dangerous.
- For out-of-season tours, out-of-hours tours, or private guided tours during the excavation – with site director Nick Card (if he is available) or Sigurd Towrie – we ask for a minimum donation to project funds of £250 or £12 per head, whichever is the larger. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.