Visiting the Ness this summer? A few reminders…
- We are open to visitors, on weekdays, until August 16 – 9.30am until 4.30pm.
- Please use the dig site car park and NOT the dig HQ/staff car park, which is signposted as ‘No Entry’ at the bottom of the access road.
- Our public tours are at 11am, 1pm and 3pm on weekdays. They last about an hour and there is no need to book – just turn up in time for the scheduled start.
- There are no public toilets on site. The nearest facilities are in Stenness village (outside the Maeshowe visitor centre), 1.2 miles (2km) from the dig.
- Dogs are welcome, but please keep them on a lead.
- Visiting the Ness, and our guided tours, are free but please consider donating when on site. You can drop money in the donation buckets; make a card donation with the Meet and Greet staff or simply click here to do it online.
- The site is closed on Friday, July 28, in preparation for our open day on Sunday, July 30.
- In bad weather we may have to close at very short notice. Rain makes it dangerous for diggers and visitors alike and is very bad for the archaeology. Closures will be posted to our website as soon as possible so if it’s a very wet day, check before travelling.
- As usual, the excavation will be documented in our daily diaries, so keep an eye on the website and social media for the latest news.
We hope you enjoy your visit to the Ness of Brodgar and look forward to seeing you soon.