There’s a brilliant book by our very own Dr. Antonia Thomas PhD, a long-standing member of the Ness dig team and an acknowledged expert on Neolithic art.
Art and Architecture is Neolithic Orkney: Process, Temporality and Context is lavishly illustrated, with many photographs of some of the carved stones from the Ness of Brodgar. The book can be bought online here.
There was a really good piece all about the Ness in the 24th July 2016 issue of The Guardian newspaper, which is well worth a read.
The Ness also features in the latest edition of Renfrew & Bahn’s Archaeology – the standard text book for undergraduates everywhere but a really useful book for all.
- Card, N. and Thomas, A., 2012. Painting a picture of Neolithic Orkney: decorated stonework from the Ness of Brodgar, in Cochrane, A and Jones, A (eds) Neolithic visual culture: abstraction and figuration, Neolithic Studies Group Monograph, Oxbow.
- Card, N, Downes, J, Gibson, J & Ovenden, S 2007 ‘Bringing a landscape to life? – researching and managing the ‘The Heart of Neolithic Orkney’ World Heritage Site, World Archaeology 39(3), 417-435
- Card, N, Cluett, J, Downes, J, Gater, J & Ovenden, S, 2007 ‘ Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage Site: Building a landscape’, In Larsson, M and Parker Pearson, M (eds) From Stonehenge to the Baltic: Living with Cultural Diversity in the Third Millennium BC, Brit Arch Report Inter Series 1692, 221-231.
- Card, N 2010 Neolithic Temples of the Northern Isles Current Archaeology, 241, 12-19.
- Card, N 2010b Colour, Cups and Tiles – recent discoveries at the Ness of Brodgar, PAST, 66, 1-3.
- Card, N 2012 The Ness of Brodgar British Archaeology, 128, 14-21
- Card, N and Thomas, A 2012 Painting a picture of Neolithic Orkney: decorated stonework from the Ness of Brodgar, in Cochrane, A and Jones, A (eds) Neolithic visual culture: abstraction and figuration, Neolithic Studies Group Monograph, Oxbow.
- Mainland, I., Card, N., Saunders, M.K., Webster, C., Isaksen, L., Downes, J., Littlewood, M., 2013 ‘SmartFauna’: a microscale GIS-based multi-dimensional approach to faunal deposition at the Ness of Brodgar, Orkney, Journal of Archaeological Science (2013), doi: 10.1016/ j.jas.2013.10.019.
- Smith, R 2014 National Geographic Before Stonehenge, August 2014, 26-51. https://www.
nationalgeographic.com/ magazine/2014/08/neolithic- orkney/
- Towers, R and Card, N 2015 Technological Adaptation in Grooved Ware Pottery from the Ness of Brodgar, Orkney: or how to make your cordons stick, SAJ 36–7 (2015): 51–63
- Towers, R, Card, N and Edmonds, M 2015 The Ness of Brodgar, Kirkwall.
- Shillito, LM, McKenzie, J, Card, N, Pike, S, and Chan, B 2015 Subsistence, technology and resource use in Neolithic Orkney: new interdisciplinary research at the Ness of Brodgar, Antiquity, 348, proj gall
- Card, N, Mainland, I, Timpany, S, Towers, R, Batt, C, Bronk Ramsey, C, Dunbar, E, Reimer, P, Marshall, P and Whittle, A 2017 To cut a long story short: formal chronological modelling for the Late Neolithic site of Ness of Brodgar, Orkney. European Journal of Archaeology: 1–47. https://doi.org/10.1017/eaa.
- Towers, R, Card, N and Edmonds, M 2017 The Ness of Brodgar: Digging Deeper (2nd Edition), Kirkwall
- Card, N 2018 The Ness of Brodgar Uncovering Orkney’s Neolithic heart, Current Archaeology 335, 20-28.
- Mainland, I, Harland, J, Card, N, & Downes, J 2018 Feast or Famine? Faunal assemblages from Orkney, Archaeology Scotland, 32, 10-13.
- Card, N 2018 A Place of Celebration and Pilgrimage, British Archaeology, Sept-Oct, 44-47.
- Harris, S, Batt, C and Card, N 2018 Developing Archaeomagnetic Dating for the Scottish Neolithic, Archaeology Scotland, 33, 14-17.
- P. Bueno-Ramírez, R. de Balbín-Behrmann, R. Barroso-Bermejo, L. Laporte, Ph. Gouezin, F. Cousseau, L. Salanova, N. Card, G. Benetau, E. Mens, A. Sheridan, F. Carrera-Ramírez, A. Hernanz, M. Iriarte, K. Steelman 2019 From pigment to symbol: the role of paintings in the ideological construction of European megaliths. In Johannes Müller, Martin Hinz, Maria Wunderlich (eds) 2019 Megaliths – Societies – Landscapes: Early Monumentality and Social Differentiation in Neolithic Europe 2019 Proceedings of the international conference in Kiel, Volume 3, 845- 864, Bonn.
- Jones, R, Towers, R and Card, N In press Analysis of decorated Grooved Ware sherds from Ness of Brodgar, Orkney, Journal of Archaeological Science
- Batt CM, Outram Z, Harris SE and Card N Forthcoming Telling the time in the Neolithic: Developing archaeomagnetic dating in Britain. Archaeometry/ Journal of Archaeological Science
- Brend, A. Card, N. Downes, J. and Edmonds, M (eds) Forthcoming Landscapes Revealed: Remote sensing around the Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage Site. Oxford: Windgather/Oxbow Press
- Allington, M. L, Batt, C, Hill, M and Card, N forthcoming Developing Archaeomagnetic Dating by Intensity in the UK: a Case Study from Neolithic Orkney, Journal of archaeological Science
- Ackerman, N and Card, N forthcoming Neolithic roofing at the Ness of Brodgar
- Card, N, Edmonds, M & Mitchell, A (eds) forthcoming The Ness of Brodgar: an interim