As you may have noticed, there’s no dig diary today. That’s because the diggers had a day off, in preparation for Sunday’s open day – the first of two this season – when all hands will be on deck, from 11am until 4pm.
Activities at the Ness excavation site include:
- Dry-stone walling by Kevin Critchlow.
- Food & Fire by Mike & Claire Copper and team.
- Rocks and colour by Chris Gee & Mai Walker.
- Working with wood by Michael Sinclair.
- The new Ness of Brodgar jewellery range from Ola Gorie.
- Big raffle with the main prize of a pendant from the Ola Gorie new jewellery range.
- Orkney Archaeology Society shop.
- Guides and finds.
- Knot work.
Activities at the Stenness School include:
- Stone in all its glory with Mark Edmonds.
- Animal bone with Jen Harland, including “Invent an animal”.
- Willow work.
- Stone felting.
- Neolithic tattoos by Jeanne Rose.
- Shell jewellery extravaganza for all ages!
- Community cafe.
For those who can’t make it on Sunday, this year’s second open day will take place on August 21.