There’s a brilliant book by our very own Dr. Antonia Thomas PhD, a long-standing member of the Ness dig team and an acknowledged expert on Neolithic art.
Art and Architecture is Neolithic Orkney: Process, Temporality and Context is lavishly illustrated, with many photographs of some of the carved stones from the Ness of Brodgar. The book can be bought online here.
There was a really good piece all about the Ness in the 24th July 2016 issue of The Guardian newspaper, which is well worth a read.
The Ness also features in the latest edition of Renfrew & Bahn’s Archaeology – the standard text book for undergraduates everywhere but a really useful book for all.
- Card, N. and Thomas, A., 2012. Painting a picture of Neolithic Orkney: decorated stonework from the Ness of Brodgar, in Cochrane, A and Jones, A (eds) Neolithic visual culture: abstraction and figuration, Neolithic Studies Group Monograph, Oxbow.
- Mainland, I., Card, N., Saunders, M.K., Webster, C., Isaksen, L., Downes, J., Littlewood, M., 2013 ‘SmartFauna’: a microscale GIS-based multi-dimensional approach to faunal deposition at the Ness of Brodgar, Orkney, Journal of Archaeological Science (2013), doi: 10.1016/ j.jas.2013.10.019.
- Towers, R. and Card, N. 2015 Technological Adaptation in Grooved Ware Pottery from the Ness of Brodgar, Orkney: or how to make your cordons stick, SAJ 36–7 (2015): 51–63
- Shillito, L.M., McKenzie, J., Card, N., Pike, S., and Chan, B. 2015 Subsistence, technology and resource use in Neolithic Orkney: new interdisciplinary research at the Ness of Brodgar, Antiquity, 348, proj gall
- Card, N., Mainland, I., Timpany, S., Towers, R., Batt, C., Bronk Ramsey, C., Dunbar, E., Reimer, P., Marshall, P. and Whittle, A. 2017 To cut a long story short: formal chronological modelling for the Late Neolithic site of Ness of Brodgar, Orkney. EJA DOI 10.1017/eaa.2016.29
- Card, N. 2018 The Ness of Brodgar Uncovering Orkney’s Neolithic heart, Current Archaeology 335
- Batt C.M., Outram Z., Harris S.E. and Card N., Forthcoming Telling the time in the Neolithic: Developing archaeomagnetic dating in Britain. Archaeometry/JAS
- Card, N. Downes, J. and Edmonds, M. (eds) Forthcoming Landscapes Revealed: Remote sensing around the Heart of Neolithic Orkney World Heritage Site. Oxford: Windgather/Oxbow Press
- Jones, R., Towers, R. and Card, N. forthcoming Analysis of decorated Grooved Ware sherds from Ness of Brodgar, Orkney.
- Allington, M. L, Batt, C., Hill, M. and Card, N. forthcoming Developing Archaeomagnetic Dating by Intensity in the UK: a Case Study from Neolithic Orkney, JAS.